Saturday, November 9, 2019

Drafting The Framed Star

The Carousel Quilt Guild each year at Christmas chooses a focus fabric and gives a fat quarter to each member of the guild.  The members then are asked to make two 12.5" blocks including the focus fabric.  The names of those participating go into the pot with the lucky name drawn being the winner of all blocks.  The winner is then asked to have blocks assembled into a top by Christmas of the following year.  Fun times.  Fun quilts.

This year the request was made for blocks to be some type of star block.  With this in mind, I decided to try my hand at drafting a block.  Yesterday, with graph paper, ruler, and colored pencils in hand I set out to do just that.  Draft my own block.

 

The Framed Star

The math followed.  Needing my block to be 12.5" I had to determine how big to make my units.  Squares, Quarter Squares, Half Squares all require different math.  Some one color, some two colors and some three colors.  Some turned this way, some turned that way.  Wow... can I do this?  Will it work?

Taking shape

With fabrics chosen and units cut, the assembly begins.


The Framed Star

My first attempt at drafting my own block is deemed a success!!  I am well pleased with the outcome.  And it measures 12.5"!!  Perfect.  I might try this again.




No comments:

Post a Comment